Subject: [Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Thu May 8 06:42:10 2008

Yes. But the assumption is that a manufacturer would not build a lens
with a larger image circle than would be required to acceptably
illuminate a circle of approximately 43.5 mm--the diagonal of the 24 x
36 mm frame. A lens with a larger image circle would be larger,
heavier, and more expensive, to no purpose.

I would think that the image circles of virtually all lenses, all
manufacturers, designed for 35 mm film use are within a fairly narrow
range, say, 43 mm to 45 mm. I don't know why a manufacturer would
design one otherwise.

Some wiggle room in the notion of "acceptably illuminate", of course,
and a couple of blatant vignetters are notorious in this respect....

--howard

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008)