Subject: [Leica] Leica R-10 at Photokina 2008
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu May 8 12:41:01 2008

I think they will call it an R10 even with some very big innovation at hand.
That's my strong guess.

The reason for one is I think they want to give a feeling of continuation.
That Leica has survived. Prevailed. Survived the digital age.
And that what people are buying into is a company which goes way back to the
brass age and Ernst Leitz with bodies lovingly nudged together with wooden
hammers (mallets) and HCB and all the rest.

Its still them!

Look at the R8 even.
That was a huge jump from what they or anybody was doing before.
But they kept it in the R series.
It sure to me doe not look one up from an R7.

They don't want it to be perceived as what happened to Hasselblad.
Itself in name only.
The H series a product of Fuji and Imacon both owned by Shriro. The
distributors take over. How humiliating!
Wolfoflex!
And kissing off with good riddance to our beloved square format and Zeiss
glass. What's left?
Its not perceived now that when you buy a Hasselblad digital camera you are
buying a Hasselblad at all. The H serious especially.
You may just like the H series but you're not buying for the love of the
memory of Victor.

Leica doesn't want that.
They want I think for you to feel squarely connected to the whole Leica
history.  Then by buying a Leica you are doing one for Ernst and the wooden
mallets.
Not a holding company more interested in silicon than brass.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com