Subject: [Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE!:-( DON'T CRYLATER!YOU WERE WARNED!!!
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 12 10:27:52 2008

Marc James Small <marcsmall@comcast.net> wrote:

> I possibly overspoke.

Yes.

> my remark was not "off base" at all, but it
> might not be as universal as I suggested.

"might not be" is quite an understatement, Marc.  The preparation,
training, investment and experience behind the photographs of Ted, Tina and
numerous other list photographers, not to mention non-list photographers,
is unique and hard-earned, and the opportunites for great photographs do
not present themselves every day.  Great photographs can be made when
preparation meets opportunity, but in many cases the nessesary preparations
are many and the opportunities are very few.

Despite the many extensive and expensive preparations I make, I can't think
of any of my own photos where I can reasonably expect the opportunity to
recur.  Thus each photograph to me represents a far greater investment both
in time and expense than a tenth of a second.  The Orphan Works bill as
presently written significantly weakens the protections for my work and
cheapens their value on the market.  This in no way means that Hove's
actions are acceptable or honorable, or are to be swept under the carpet,
only that the bill in question does not apply to the situation you and
numerous others are in.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web LIVE ? Free email based on Microsoft? Exchange technology -
http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE!:-( DON'T CRYLATER!YOU WERE WARNED!!!)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov) ([Leica] Orphan Works - . A MUST READ EVERYONE!:-( DON'T CRYLATER!YOU WERE WARNED!!!)