Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yosemite too... and Raw exposure for dynamic range
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun May 18 05:20:08 2008

We are looking at a web representation of Aram's photograph of course. And
I'm still very jealous that Aram was there with waterfalls bursting and
magnificent light everywhere. My usual long winded technical comment was
trying to say that, in that HDR based jpg, the highlights and darks were
clipped (highlights suffered especially) and my example is of a fairly
contrasty shot with info preserved there in both by careful single exposure
and processing.
BW is an important area and of great interest to me too. Marty over here,
whose technical expertise I greatly respect, is convinced that digital
capture can't equal the highlight range of bw film for subtlety and detail.
To the extent of total possible dynamic range, I understand, especially
regarding the tonal curve from film vs. sensor. Yet the quality and
flexibility of the Raw capture for me is so superior (and considering the
limits of the print media) that in my mind there is no contest. HDR ought to
make that better again in the right circumstance and technique. The HDR guys
should keep on putting in the hard yards and convincing us. Boy the pressure
will be on when I take my M8 to Yosemite!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/