Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yosemite too... and Raw exposure for dynamic range
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon May 19 03:09:16 2008

Hoppy,

It's a very difficult question. But, as we are talking of Yosemite, remind
yourself of the dynamic range in Adams' prints of the place...and at times
of
his extraodinarily subtle gradation of tone. In both the gradation of tone
and
the handling of highlights B&W film can outdo present (mainstream) digital
technology, which after all was designed to handle colour which is where the
market demand is. We are often very fond of pointing out on the LUG you see
different things with the two.

A B&W Digital camera would be an intersting but technicvally different
beast,
particularly if it were to get into trying to reproduce film quality.

Peter