Subject: [Leica] he's back...
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 18 22:45:05 2008

jacques bilinski <jacques_bilinski@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>I recommend a hard hat.
>
> Doug, is it common?for owls to attack humans on the head? I've
> personally?seen?owls go for the hair of?humans (runners in a large urban
> park).
> There?was speculation as to wether the owls mistook the head of humans for
> prey.?The area has an unnatural high population?of robents (mostly
> squirles, I
> think) due to?people feeding them peanuts, etc. ?

Owls in the genus Bubo which includes the Great Horned Owl and the Eagle
Owls in eurasia are known for aggressive defense of then nest area.  Also
the much smaller Screech Owls (genus Otus), including the Western Screech
Owl that nests in the cottonwood tree behind my barn.  In the spring I
always wear a hat when I walk through that part of the yard after dark.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com