Subject: [Leica] Lenses for Digital
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Fri May 30 05:44:10 2008

Chris,

I don't think there is an issue with Leica-R lenses on digital
bodies. The DMR users should be able to confirm that. But I have been
using them on a full frame Canon EOS 1Ds Mk II with no problem. That
would be the 35-70 f4 ROM, 100mm f2.8 APO ROM, 180mm F3.4 APO, 280mm
f2.8 APO, 80-200mm f4 , and both the 400mm and 560mm f6.8 Telyts. No
problems.

Now Nikon is a slightly different issue. I have 40 Nikkors, half are
AF or AFC, the other half are AI or AIS. I also use a D300 and also
use them on the full frame Canon. Only the two DX lenses, the 10.5
and 18-200 will not work on a full frame camera. The 4 micros, older
55mm, 60mm, 85mm and 105mm  work fine on the full frame. I was not
happy with the 200mm macro so I got rid of it. The only lens that has
a problem full frame is the AFS 17-35mm which vignettes badly. It's
fine on the D300. My dealer told me that everybody that has a D3 is
having vignetting problems with the 17-35 and also the AFS VR 70-200
lens but to a lesser degree.

As far as the M8 goes, I have tested 12 Leica lenses on two different
M8 bodies and on new film bodies. My test was for focus shift. This
included some screw mount lenses as well. In every case the focus
will shift more towards back focus on the M8 but can be a problem
mostly with the very fast lenses like the Noctilux, 75mm Summilux and
to a lesser degree the 50mm Summilux ASPH. I found the older lenses
going back to the LTM Xenon, Summarit, Summitar, Summar and all 50mm
Summicrons have the focus better centered then the more modern
lenses. The 135mm lenses can have focus issues as well. They are
affected much more by slight rangefinder alignment then the shorter
lenses.

I don't know what you mean by do Asph lenses work better. They are
newer designs which are higher contrast lenses. The older lenses work
the same on the M8 as they do on the film cameras. What I mean is
their character remains the same. If they are good on film they are
good on the M8.

I hope this helps.

Len