Subject: [Leica] Favorite Non-Leica-Leica Lens?
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Wed Jun 11 08:31:09 2008

Good morning, Philip,

This is an interesting discussion. I believe there is another problem
adapting such a lens to an M Leica, i.e. the quite narrow depth of field of
a 180mm lens. I recollect in the 1960's, Leitz experimenting with their
newly-introduced 180mm f/2,8 Elmarit-R and fabricating a focusing mount
analagous to their 135/2,8 Elmarit-M with attached viewfinder. They never
put this version of the lens into production because even with the
viewfinder magnification of the image, the rangefinder base was too narrow
to give sufficiently accurate focusing. And of course you're right, zone
focus woould be hopeless with this long a lens.

Seth