Subject: [Leica] The War on Photography by Bruce Schneir
From: sanjay at microassist.net (Sanjay Nasta)
Date: Sun Jun 15 08:02:14 2008

Forgive the long post, I thought it was worth a read

  The War on Photography

What is it with photographers these days? Are they really all
terrorists, or does everyone just think they are?

Since 9/11, there has been an increasing war on photography.
Photographers have been harassed, questioned, detained, arrested or
worse, and declared to be unwelcome. We've been repeatedly told to watch
out for photographers, especially suspicious ones. Clearly any terrorist
is going to first photograph his target, so vigilance is required.

Except that it's nonsense. The 9/11 terrorists didn't photograph
anything. Nor did the London transport bombers, the Madrid subway
bombers, or the liquid bombers arrested in 2006. Timothy McVeigh didn't
photograph the Oklahoma City Federal Building. The Unabomber didn't
photograph anything; neither did shoe-bomber Richard Reid. Photographs
aren't being found amongst the papers of Palestinian suicide bombers.
The IRA wasn't known for its photography. Even those manufactured
terrorist plots that the US government likes to talk about -- the Ft.
Dix terrorists, the JFK airport bombers, the Miami 7, the Lackawanna 6
-- no photography.

Given that real terrorists, and even wannabe terrorists, don't seem to
photograph anything, why is it such pervasive conventional wisdom that
terrorists photograph their targets? Why are our fears so great that we
have no choice but to be suspicious of any photographer?

Because it's a movie-plot threat.

A movie-plot threat is a specific threat, vivid in our minds like the
plot of a movie. You remember them from the months after the 9/11
attacks: anthrax spread from crop dusters, a contaminated milk supply,
terrorist scuba divers armed with almanacs. Our imaginations run wild
with detailed and specific threats, from the news, and from actual
movies and television shows. These movie plots resonate in our minds and
in the minds of others we talk to. And many of us get scared.

Terrorists taking pictures is a quintessential detail in any good movie.
Of course it makes sense that terrorists will take pictures of their
targets. They have to do reconnaissance, don't they? We need 45 minutes
of television action before the actual terrorist attack -- 90 minutes if
it's a movie -- and a photography scene is just perfect. It's our
movie-plot terrorists that are photographers, even if the real-world
ones are not.

The problem with movie-plot security is it only works if we guess the
plot correctly. If we spend a zillion dollars defending Wimbledon and
terrorists blow up a different sporting event, that's money wasted. If
we post guards all over the Underground and terrorists bomb a crowded
shopping area, that's also a waste. If we teach everyone to be alert for
photographers, and terrorists don't take photographs, we've wasted money
and effort, and taught people to fear something they shouldn't.

And even if terrorists did photograph their targets, the math doesn't
make sense. Billions of photographs are taken by honest people every
year, 50 billion by amateurs alone in the US. And the national monuments
you imagine terrorists taking photographs of are the same ones tourists
like to take pictures of. If you see someone taking one of those
photographs, the odds are infinitesimal that he's a terrorist.

Of course, it's far easier to explain the problem than it is to fix it.
Because we're a species of storytellers, we find movie-plot threats
uniquely compelling. A single vivid scenario will do more to convince
people that photographers might be terrorists than all the data I can
muster to demonstrate that they're not.

Fear aside, there aren't many legal restrictions on what you can
photograph from a public place that's already in public view. If you're
harassed, it's almost certainly a law enforcement official, public or
private, acting way beyond his authority. There's nothing in any
post-9/11 law that restricts your right to photograph.

This is worth fighting. Search "photographer rights" on Google and
download one of the several wallet documents that can help you if you
get harassed; I found one for the UK, US, and Australia. Don't cede your
right to photograph in public. Don't propagate the terrorist
photographer story. Remind them that prohibiting photography was
something we used to ridicule about the USSR. Eventually sanity will be
restored, but it may take a while.

Incidents and anti-photography campaigns:
http://nycphotorights.com/wordpress/?p=110
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://nycphotorights.com/wordpress/?p=110>

<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7351252.stm>

http://www.allensphotoblog.com/blog1/2007/09/photography_terrorism.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.allensphotoblog.com/blog1/2007/09/photography_terrorism.html>

or http://tinyurl.com/4owutd
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/4owutd>

http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/06/the-crime-of-ph.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/06/the-crime-of-ph.html>

http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/10/the-crime-of-ph.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/10/the-crime-of-ph.html>

http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/09/the-crime-of-ph.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/09/the-crime-of-ph.html>

http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/11/the-crime-of-ph.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://flash.popphoto.com/blog/2007/11/the-crime-of-ph.html>

http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/war_and_peace/every_day_diplomacy.php
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.episcopalcafe.com/daily/war_and_peace/every_day_diplomacy.php>

or http://tinyurl.com/3x5f6c
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/3x5f6c>

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/14/bb-reader-two-fbi-ag.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/14/bb-reader-two-fbi-ag.html>

http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2008/05/almost_arrested_for_taking_photos_at_uni.html

<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2008/05/almost_arrested_for_taking_photos_at_uni.html>

or http://tinyurl.com/6dq3ea
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/6dq3ea>

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2008/05/union_station_photo_follies.html

<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://blog.washingtonpost.com/rawfisher/2008/05/union_station_photo_follies.html>

or http://tinyurl.com/5rp2zb
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/5rp2zb>

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Antiterror_police_defend_campaign_targeting_suspicious_behaviour_of_people_with_cameras_news_195594.html

<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Antiterror_police_defend_campaign_targeting_suspicious_behaviour_of_people_with_cameras_news_195594.html>

or http://tinyurl.com/28qq9x
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/28qq9x>

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23553587-952,00.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23553587-952,00.html>

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2006/02/10/askthepilot173/index.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2006/02/10/askthepilot173/index.html>

or http://tinyurl.com/4x7v8z
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/4x7v8z>

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/arts/design/20shat.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1210125984-qrPPfpI/kDlEi+wMrOvtEA

<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/arts/design/20shat.html?_r=1%26adxnnl=1%26oref=slogin%26adxnnlx=1210125984-qrPPfpI/kDlEi%2BwMrOvtEA>

or http://tinyurl.com/5w9c3n
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/5w9c3n>

http://lightchasersphotography.com/blog/how-to-shoot-photographs-like-a-terrorist/

<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://lightchasersphotography.com/blog/how-to-shoot-photographs-like-a-terrorist/>

or http://tinyurl.com/58qz56
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/58qz56>

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A41348
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%253A41348>

"Nonsense":
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/uk-politician-c.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/uk-politician-c.html>

Fake terrorist plots in the US:
http://www.schneier.com/essay-174.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.schneier.com/essay-174.html>

Movie-plot threats:
http://www.schneier.com/essay-087.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.schneier.com/essay-087.html>

Data on photographs in the US:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/fashion/thursdaystyles/05photos.html
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/fashion/thursdaystyles/05photos.html>

Photographers' rights:
http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php>

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm>

http://www.kantor.com/blog/2005/12/legal-rights-of-photographers/
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.kantor.com/blog/2005/12/legal-rights-of-photographers/>

http://www.artslaw.com.au/_documents/files/StreetPhotographersRights.pdf
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.artslaw.com.au/_documents/files/StreetPhotographersRights.pdf>

or http://tinyurl.com/6kyc7m
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/6kyc7m>

A comment from someone who trains security guards:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/06/the_war_on_phot.html#c275864
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/06/the_war_on_phot.html%23c275864>

or http://tinyurl.com/6on7tr
<https://exchange.microassist.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://tinyurl.com/6on7tr>

This essay originally appeared in The Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jun/05/news.terrorism

MicroAssist, Inc.
3420 Executive Center Drive, Suite G100 Austin, TX 78731
http://www.microassist.net
Phone: (512) 794-8440
Fax: (512) 794-8742

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] The War on Photography by Bruce Schneir)