Subject: [Leica] re: war on photography
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon Jun 16 21:18:46 2008

I hope none of you ever experience one of these assaults on one's
rights and integrity.

I had a nearly identical experience a few years ago. Same reason. I
was photographing children playing in a fountain on a hot summer day.
And a paranoid parent reported my activity to a rent-a-cop in charge
of security at the park. The park was considered private property.
One had to pay admission to be on the "Summerfest" grounds. I was
quickly surrounded by 3 rent-a-cops and one female (actual) police
officer. I was detained for nearly an hour and eventually forced to
leave the park; because I refused to "check" my equipment in their
not well protected "illegal stuff" area; even though I'd paid to be
there. "Professional" photographers were required to acquire press
credentials before photographing on the grounds. Obviously a
"professional" who's "shooting for fun" has no rights in these
situations.

Many other parents were photographing their children with P&S's. My
gear was part of attracting attention. That plus the fact that I was
alone; Ann had gone off to see other attractions. I was shooting film
and offered the parent the opportunity to view the developed roll and
explained that the frame numbers would be sequential; assuring her
that it would prove the aesthetic intent of my efforts. With that the
official officer stated that it was a reasonable offer and she had no
other legal recourse in the matter.

It was a very humiliating experience. Unless you've been through it -
I'd suggest that you have no idea how you will react; partly because
you don't know what sort of individuals you'll be dealing with; or
what options they'll attempt to use to "get control" of the
situation. In my case the rent-a-cops were muscle men acting like
muscle men. I have to thank the female officer for truly bringing
order and good sense to the situation without taking sides. I spent
two week corresponding with the local ACLU after the fact. Nothing
ever came of that because they're inundated with such reports and
only have resources for the most flagrant abuses of law and power.

Fond regards,
George
george@imagist.com
www.imagist.com