Subject: [Leica] good old censorship
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan)
Date: Fri Jun 20 21:57:41 2008

Franco died in 1975, and democracy was reinstated the following year.
Of course, in the first few years most of the army and police (and
much of the political elite) were still holdovers from the Franco
era, so it is not surprising that Walt found the Guardia Civil nasty
30 years ago. Today, most/all of these people are dead or retired,
and the army in particular underwent a thorough purge following the
aborted military coup in 1981.

Of all the countries I have lived in since leaving Denmark in 1983,
Spain seems the freest in terms of personal liberties, despite the
fact that there is an ongoing terrorist threat here from ETA.

Nathan