Subject: [Leica] OT: I screwed up my new iMac :-(
From: octabod at gmail.com (Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas)
Date: Fri Jul 11 22:28:32 2008

On 12/07/2008, at 7:08, Nathan wrote:

> Anyway, I had the not-so-bright idea of just selecting the hard disk
> and giving myself write access to everything on it. The result is
> that the thing will not start now (I have run the hardware
> diagnostics which show nothing untoward). I suppose I have a weekend
> of Apple support to look forward to :-(

Nathan, start up with the boot disk provided and choose fix
permissions from the installer menu, that will solve everything if you
only have a permissions problem.

As any un*x system there is a myriad of files, groups and users that
we do not need for normal operation, changing permissions, owners or
anything else might break the system. Hope it helps.

I feel better, to hell with photography, art, women, and all
E. Weston, 1924
http://luis.imaginarymagnitude.net/