Subject: [Leica] IMG: Blue Angels
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Jul 16 07:47:29 2008

Alan,

I didn't shoot film for a couple of years. Not surprisingly I got out of
practice. After using automated DSLRs I felt clumsy using my M6. It was
hard at first. Now all the setting and focusing and winding and film
changing is second nature again.

Returning to processing was also a struggle. I had to mix developer and
fix again. Just getting the chemicals was a hassle. I had to figure out
a workflow with tanks, reels, loading, etc. It was messy at first. In a
sense I started fro scratch.

I had a darkroom when I lived in Oregon. But I moved. I now use a
laundry room. Chem printing is not as easy as a digital workflow. But
the more I do it the easier it gets. Film, especially if you process it
yourself, takes a real commitment.

Now and then I ask myself, "why not just shoot digital?" It's because
photography with bw film is fascinating. It's an adventure. Right now
I'm using PMK. Interesting stuff! I just ordered a 28/3.5 Color-Skopar
(discontinued). Equipment's more interesting with film.

Also, although I get more good pics from digital (which makes it good
for documentary, travel, etc.) my best photographs, in a
creative/artistic sense, are from film. All my framed and displayed
prints, except one, are analog sourced.

DaveR