Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Street Photography
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Thu Jul 17 14:02:13 2008

 Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> It is a grey area, Gene. French privacy laws are very strict.
> Basically, even for non-commercial use and even when the person
> photographed is in a public place, you are not allowed to publish
> their images (without their consent) if they depict the persons in a
> delicate situation of some sort (I think the language in the law is
> more like humiliating). So pictures of people smooching probably fall
> into a grey area.

The law is essentially the same here in Quebec (but not in the rest of
Canada). If the subject of a publicly exhibited photo (can be "artistic")
claims the image caused him/her to be exposed to ridicule (like being razzed
by school mates, etc.), the photographer is liable.

It's a privacy thing.

"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."
- Tom Waits

Emanuel