Subject: [Leica] A Questionable Haze?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jul 18 12:06:52 2008

Yama, I just use the top of our washing machine and clothes hamper, no
dedicated darkroom here. Regarding the bath, I have bottles with the right
quantity of each chemical and the tank itself sitting in the bath with a
thermometer in the bottle of developer. When I get to the right 20 Celsius,
I dump the water and then just start. I don't measure the temps after I
start. Even through summer here, I have never noted a problem. You are
starting with the tank body cooled to the same as the chemicals and then the
developer is the most temp critical. Consistency is the key word. The less
variation in your process the more control you have. I have read all sorts
of exotic agitation routines. I just used the recommended routine from the
manufacturers.
As recommended to me by Marty when I started film processing again after a
very long hiatus- take notes, stick with one developer until you know what
it will do for you-start 10-20% under the recommended times. To those I
would add - chemicals are cheap, don't scrimp by using them over and over.
(Dilute XTOL developer is one shot anyway) especially be consistent with
your agitation and have fun!

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e