Subject: [Leica] Re: OT Computer Help Needed: Deleted Files - Thanks & Partial Success
From: benmarks2005 at gmail.com (Benjamin Marks)
Date: Tue Jul 22 06:57:24 2008

Well, thanks to some expert advice from our saloon keeper and others,
I did manage to download a free file recovery application onto my
laptop, remove the main hard-drive from my desktop Windows machine and
place it in a USB case, run the application and retrieve approximately
70% of the files that I thought I had erased.  Oddly, the recovered
jpgs that I had made from the DNG files with Lightroom were all
unreadable and about a third of the original DNG files are partially
or completely scrambled (e.g. won't open in CS3 and show as fully or
partially "snow" in Bridge).  Still, the result is better than nothing
at all.  And I wanted to send out thanks to all those who responded
with such alacrity.

I shudder to think of how many ways there were to misstep in this, had
I tried this recovery without your (collective) wisdom.

Best,

Ben Marks