Subject: [Leica] OT Firewire 800 daisy chain speed question
From: lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth)
Date: Tue Jul 22 10:45:17 2008

I have a totally off topic question.

I've just moved from an XP desktop to a 24" iMac. This has a Firewire 800
interface - something my old desktop didn't.

So I've connected an external hard drive with Firewire 800 interface to the
Firewire 800 port on the iMac. So far so good. I also have two other drives
with Firewire 400 interfaces.

Rather than connect them to the Firewire 400 interface on the iMac I've
daisy chained them with the Firewire 800 drive (it has USB, Firewire 400 and
Firewire 800 interfaces). So the chain is iMac -> Firewire 800 -> 400 ->
400.

Phew, onto my question. Will having the Firewire 400 drives in the chain
slow down the Firewire 800 drive to their speed?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I'm loving the iMac by the way, should have moved ages ago.

Steve

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] OT Firewire 800 daisy chain speed question)
Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] OT Firewire 800 daisy chain speed question)