Subject: [Leica] About Easing into LeiCanon Photography
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed Jul 23 08:22:10 2008

It is a mixed bag at best.  I have a Rebel XTi and the viewfinder is truly
pathetic after using the R8 for many years.  I bought the Nikon eyepiece
magnifier and that helps tremendously.  I think the current Rebel has a
slightly better viewfinder.  The D series is definately an improvement.

I use a FC adapter and it works fairly well.  Focus wide open then stop down
to whatever you choose.  The real problem comes when you stop down.  I shoot
in either Aperture priority or Manual exposure.  When you meter with the
lens wide open it is dead on for exposure.  As you stop down, the exposure
starts to change - overexpose.  The more you stop down the more overexposure
you experience.  It does not matter what the wide open f-stop of the lens
is, so you can't just say "at f-5.6 I need to under expose 2/3 stops".  You
can say" I stopped the lens down two full stops so I need to under expose
2/3 stops".  Sometimes, to get a long exposure for a stream, I stop down all
the way.  The best way to do that is to meter wide open in manual mode then
count.  Lens 5 stops, shutter 5 stops.  That works all the time, but is not
very fast.  Of course, when you are exposing something for 1/2 second or so,
speed of operation is usually not a problem.  I think this expousre problem
is pretty universal for all the Canon bodies and even Olympus (I think).

So, if I need to shoot rapidly, I use a lens made for the Canon, but
otherwise I use Leica glass.  The 100 APO is amazing on digital.  I would
think it would be even more amazing on a DMR, but I don't own one of those.
Wish the camear reset the +/- override when you turned it off to change
lenses.  I am always forgetting to set it to null when I put a Canon lens on
it.  My wife's Olympus 410 resets the +/- to null when the camera is
switched off.  Nice feature.

Hoping in September I hear news from Leica that will allow me to use my
current glass as it was intended on a digital body about R8 size or less.

Aram