Subject: [Leica] Grand Canyon Hike
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Aug 1 18:35:59 2008

At 09:01 PM 8/1/2008, you wrote:
>Just a thought.  If you defer until December, you can probably get a nice
>suite at the El Tovar, no hiking, no watching thousands of foreign tourists
>about to fall off the edge while posing, maybe a little snow.  Just chilling
>out for a while.  We were snowed in at the El Tovar for about three days
>once in January.  Nice, although the food and wine selection sucked.  Bring
>your own Scotch definitely. Personally, I would rather be in Santa Fe then.
>
>Ken

We're spending one night in El Tovar, hiking down to Phantom Ranch to
sleep in boy/girl segregated dorms (!) for one night, and hiking back
up for one more night in El Tovar.  My husband and I actually drove
up to El Tovar one day a few years ago and, on a whim, asked if they
had any cancellations.  They had a suite with a huge balcony looking
over the rim of the canyon.  It had just been painted and they didn't
plan to rent it out, but we took a look and there was no paint smell
so we stayed.  Sunrise and sunset over the Canyon were
gorgeous!  That was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  I remember
looking at the trail then and we decided that it was so covered with
mule poop that it wouldn't be a nice hike!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Grand Canyon Hike)