Subject: [Leica] SFMOMA incident
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Mon Aug 11 10:51:41 2008

I wasn't going to post this, because I figured someone else would. In the
206 comments to Hawk's initial blog post (when I went to it) one was from
someone who proported to be one of the two SFMOMA employees who escorted the
photographer from the premises. He stated that Mr. Hawk was asked to stop
photographing ten  times not for taking photos in the atrium, but for what
the employees believed was perching on a balcony and taking a photograph
down a staff members amply filled blouse. Whether or not this was actually
the case (to the untrained eye a large aperture wide angle lens at the
appropriate angle for capturing a large room can probably look like a
super-telephoto pointed in a strange direction) it sounds like a reasonable
starting point for a flare-up. It also appears from reading a few of his
blog posts that he can be a confrontation waiting for an event. And the fact
that he continued photographing after being asked to stop ten times suggests
to me not that the atrium of SFMOMA was in such desperate need of being
photographed at that exact moment, but that he was looking for a fight.

There are photographs that it's a journalists duty to go to the mat to get.
The already well photographed atrium of SFMOMA probably isn't, IMHO, one of
those.

kc

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] SFMOMA incident)
Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] SFMOMA incident)