Subject: [Leica] SFMOMA incident
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Tue Aug 12 16:01:25 2008

Yea, I was witness to a similar event last Thursday.  Richie Havens played
a free concert in downtown Brooklyn in a small plaza.  The coordinators
asked that concert goers to restrict taking photographs to the first two
(or three) numbers, (ie crowing around the stage being annoying with big
cameras for the whole show.)  They were explicit in citing those
"professional cameras with the large lenses" as being of most concern.  For
the most part people came to the stage snapped a couple picts and went back
to their seat, except one guy, who after about 6 or so songs was politely
asked to finish-up.  Well what a fuss he made, bla, bla, public place, I'm
not a professional, and refused to move.  Like out of spite switched his
camera to burst mode or something and became even more
confrontational.  The the concert coordinators had no real authority to
remove the guy from a public place so they dropped it.  I noticed he
eventually became bored and decided enjoying Havens was better then
photographing him.

Question:  This restriction of "professional cameras with big lenses" seems
to be a new policy around here

At 01:51 PM 8/11/2008, you wrote:

>I wasn't going to post this, because I figured someone else would. In the
>206 comments to Hawk's initial blog post (when I went to it) one was from
>someone who proported to be one of the two SFMOMA employees who escorted
>the photographer from the premises. He stated that Mr. Hawk was asked to
>stop photographing ten  times not for taking photos in the atrium, but for
>what the employees believed was perching on a balcony and taking a
>photograph down a staff members amply filled blouse. Whether or not this
>was actually the case (to the untrained eye a large aperture wide angle
>lens at the appropriate angle for capturing a large room can probably look
>like a super-telephoto pointed in a strange direction) it sounds like a
>reasonable starting point for a flare-up. It also appears from reading a
>few of his blog posts that he can be a confrontation waiting for an event.
>And the fact that he continued photographing after being asked to stop ten
>times suggests to me not that the atrium of SFMOMA was in such desperate
>need of being photographed at that exact moment, but that he was looking
>for a fight.
>
>There are photographs that it's a journalists duty to go to the mat to
>get. The already well photographed atrium of SFMOMA probably isn't, IMHO,
>one of those.
>
>kc

Chris Saganich, M.S.
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964