Subject: [Leica] LR question
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Aug 22 06:56:17 2008

At 09:43 AM 8/22/2008, you wrote:
>Does anybody store original files in RAW format, or is everyone storing
>copies of DNG conversions?  I have been storing in RAW but am wondering if
>that is the best situation.

DNG is an open RAW solution that is lossless.  There is no reason to
store RAW files in the original camera RAW UNLESS you are planning on
using the software dedicated to converting that particular RAW
version.  Canon and NIkon both have software to convert their RAW
files.  I prefer LR for converting all RAW files so I convert
everything to DNG.  Now since I'm using only M8's, all of my RAW
files are DNG to start with.  I still convert to DNG in LR because
the files are much smaller with no loss.

If you think that at any time in the future you may want to use the
proprietary RAW files from you camera, you can embed the RAW file in
the DNG conversion in LR.  It makes a much larger file, but then you
have the original RAW if you ever want it.

>And second, is anyone (else) having problems with LR2 not opening images in
>CS3 for editing?  Worked fine with LR1.4, but though LR2 launches CS3, it
>won't open the image.  BTW, I'm using a 24" iMac with 10.5.4.

No problems here on a PC with PSC3 and LR2.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Message from chuckdesantis at ameritech.net (Chuck DeSantis) ([Leica] LR question)