Subject: [Leica] Getting close to Photokina... I want tostart anew rumor....
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Aug 28 16:48:31 2008

George has noted a relevant point though, being the need for more angling by
the peripheral micro lenses to help offset the smaller lens/sensor distance.
There is a processing component to this too, but that requires the camera to
identify the lens in use for best effect.
On the IR absorption filter (.5mm thick) Leica has consciously gone for that
compromise and with less camera firmware processing, in an attempt to retain
as much detail resolution as possible. It proved to be imperfect, as has
been very well publicised. In colour, it affects more than the obvious
synthetic fabric reproduction, there is skin tone pollution too. Plus affect
on the WB in general. Wides are more affected, BW is a different issue, as
is shooting jpg instead of Raw. Part of the reason for this compromise was
to keep compatibility with almost all M lenses made prior to the 6 bit
encoding (there being no electrical communication as you know). It also
meant less diffraction and flare (from internal reflections) potential
issues (all meaning degradation of resolution and contrast)
In practice, superb Leica glass, 6 bit coding, the external UV/IR filters
and the current firmware really make it all a non-issue. Truly the quality
is stunning.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e