Subject: [Leica] question to Steve Barbour concerning dual range summicron
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Aug 29 22:58:32 2008

Lee:  The DR has very high resolution, and also moderate contrast.  The
latter might be a good thing for digital. Really bright highlights tend to
bleed slightly into their darker surroundings, which sounds like a defect
but actually looks very nice in practice.

This is different from the Summilux ASPH, which is a modern lens with
biting sharpness--high contrast as well as resolution.  Completely
different personality.  My guess is that you might prefer it over the DR
for aerial photography.

My take is that one doesn't use a DR for its resolution so much as one uses
it for its look.

The DR was my favorite outdoor lens with film, and I intend to use mine on
my M8 when it comes back from its "operation" at DAG.

Hope this is useful.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] question to Steve Barbour concerning dual range summicron)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] question to Steve Barbour concerning dual range summicron)