Subject: [Leica] question to Steve Barbour concerning dual range summicron
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat Aug 30 07:36:32 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 10:58 PM, Peter Klein wrote:

> Lee:  The DR has very high resolution, and also moderate contrast.
> The latter might be a good thing for digital. Really bright
> highlights tend to bleed slightly into their darker surroundings,
> which sounds like a defect but actually looks very nice in practice.
>
> This is different from the Summilux ASPH, which is a modern lens
> with biting sharpness--high contrast as well as resolution.
> Completely different personality.  My guess is that you might prefer
> it over the DR for aerial photography.
>
> My take is that one doesn't use a DR for its resolution so much as
> one uses it for its look.
>
> The DR was my favorite outdoor lens with film, and I intend to use
> mine on my M8 when it comes back from its "operation" at DAG.

well said Peter, and I completely agree with you...

the interesting thing is that the DR is one of the highest resolution
lenses available, but its actually quite low contrast gives it a
peaceful look, and one can always be jazzed up as desired...

the ASPH is known for its very high resolution, and for high
contrast,  which to me gives it at times a brittle look, even harsh.
Others feel differently.

My conclusion is that the ASPH is for the words, while the DR is for
the poetry...

I have thought about selling my mint, little used 50 ASPH...still it
is hard to part with it.

Steve