Subject: Western States 100 Re: [Leica] Olympics
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Sat Aug 30 14:10:38 2008

It makes my knees hurt just reading the description:

"The Run is conducted along the Western States Trail starting at Squaw
Valley, California, and ending in Auburn, California, a total of 100
miles. The trail ascends from the Squaw Valley floor (elevation 6,200
feet) to Emigrant Pass (elevation 8,750 feet), a climb of 2,550
vertical feet in the first 4? miles. From the pass, following the
original trails used by the gold and silver miners of the 1850?s,
runners travel west, climbing another 15,540 feet and descending
22,970 feet before reaching Auburn.
Most of the trail passes through remote and rugged territory,
accessible only to hikers, horses and helicopters."

And to think, I was amazed at the Yosemite trail runners who start
from the valley floor before dawn, run to the top of Half Dome and are
back at the valley for lunch.

Tom