Subject: [Leica] Unavailable light
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Aug 30 15:54:47 2008

Tina Manley offered in response:

Subject: RE: [Leica] Unavailable light

At 04:35 PM 8/29/2008, you wrote:

Ted said:

>He was gone a day later! The publisher offered, "his paper was a team paper
and everybody assisted everybody!" He had no time for phony primadonnas!

Tina responded:

>>That was the good old days.  Now it's the photographer who is gone.  The
newspapers give the reporter a point and shoot camera and tell him to take a
few snapshots - or they ask readers to send in free photos so they can get
their names in the paper! :-(<<<<<<

Tina,

It's just another move in the visual world of newspapers, magazines and
other publications. To some degree even along the commercial side. They'll
use any piece of crap sent via face book, or any other nickel and dime means
for a free picture. Quality? Hell they don't know what the word means
anymore!

Once again pointing up the absolute failing of digital automatic everything
in the hands of any moron in the world as long as they have an exposure!

And the lack of quality always expected in the days of film use is long gone
in the minds of buyers of photography.  Crap these days is the accepted
thing!

Quite frankly I've just completed two serious assignments using digital and
it was wonderful not to require changing film.

However my lack of computer skills the work related shoots caused me
absolutely no end of nightmares and probably a greater degree of "lightroom"
time than if it were film and darkroom time. :-(

However that's a personal failing due to "playing at the computer" instead
every single day work time.

What I did find in a few previous assignment offers was a complete lack of
understanding and appreciation of experience and talent when it came to
offering a proper fee for the shoot and expected results.

One more reason added to my list of telling the world. "take this so called
photography game and stick it!"

Today many think because "Charlie the stock room guy" takes happy snaps of
the office party with his super whiz bang digi cam, "FOR NOTHING!" Why would
we pay a tried and true professional photographer $2500 a day when all he's
going to do is make digital exposures like Charlie?

They do not take in the value of experience, creative light seeing and being
able to shoot under pressure and still come back with pretty well a perfect
shoot under any kind of light or none light conditions.

Sorry I'm in rant mode and time to hang up the cameras!!

ted