Subject: [Leica] another reason to backup
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Sep 1 08:14:40 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Tina Manley <images@comporium.net> wrote:
> So far, no problems
> though.

Reminds me of a story John Sinclair told us at one of his
get-togethers in Tuscany. (John Sinclair was, he died, the main figure
in scientific lexicography ... my field. Like a Chomsky in status
(though diametrically opposed in science)).

With the electronic age the medium of dictionaries, paper products, is
changing. Some don't like this. The electronic media not only makes
indexing and look-up more effective, but the indexing still uses paper
technology (indexing on bold-faced words, like you see in a paper
dictionary).

When we are no longer bound by the constraints and limitations of the
printed page, we can introduce other linguistic traits (such as
phraseology) as the "entrance" to what words mean.

The paper dictionary, he would say, is like the guy falling off of the
Empire State Building in New York.

When he got the the 51st floor, someone leaned out and shouted: "How's
it going?"

The man falling replied:

"So far, so good."

Daniel