Subject: [Leica] IMG: Playing with Fire
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue Sep 2 04:13:01 2008

These looks good to me Tina - I really love your central American scenes.

I've used TMZ @ 3200-12800 often and found that you really needed a
supercharged phenidone based developer like T-Max, T-Max RS (they are not
the same) or DDX to get a decent neg.  I'm not sure what your negs look
like, but I found scanning them three times for the shadows, midtones and
highlights and combining them in Photomatix Pro.  You can adjust the
midtone, highlight and shadow contrast separately that way and combine an
image from a much wider dynamic range than your scanner has - it's like
digital dodging and burning but looks better than using adjustment layers in
PS.  It's probably only worth considering for a few very special images,
unless you have plenty of time - it's a very labour intensive process.

I have found that using Noise Ninja, Neat Image or NoiseFixer (the newest
version of Photoshop does a decent job in itself) doesn't help much with
film grain, although the newest version of Noise Ninja that I tried did
better than several earlier programs.  Everything gets grainy when it's this
dark, doesn't it?

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

"somewhere, many trains were whistling on the tracks"
             Joseph Roth 'The Spider's Web'

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses