Subject: [Leica] Analog Processing
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Sep 5 14:48:49 2008

I believe digital photography has been a boom to photography like nothing
ever has before. More of a positive impact of photography than roll film did
over sheet film. Dry plate over wet plate.

We used to pick up our snapshots from the drugstore; then those one hour
places.
Now we are hands on involved with the process from start to finish.
Instead of one kid in a million having a darkroom (me) about every other kid
on the block is turning out letter sized prints and or printing to pixel or
monitor and uploading to every kind of gallery and website.

The most recent thing I've just noticed is how well people are represented
now in photography. As in their face. Them.
Used to be you'd look in the phonebook under portrait photographers and get
a really lousy stiff tasteless shot from them in a week or two from idiot.
Then you'd see how celebrities were represented in magazines.
Some smart people might discover the other section of the yellow pages;
The commercial photographer section;
And get represented a bit better. Closer to what they'd see in a magazine or
even on a very sophisticated person perhaps in the performing or graphic
arts would have on their wall. Something with a little flair maybe. Or not.

Now people are photographing themselves; and doing a much better job of it.
Look at the faces in Facebook or Myspace; Brilliant!
People have really gotten into photography now!
They've taken control of it;
And their own image.
People are having a ball with it.

Kids don't go to recess any more.
They set in rooms filled with Macs running Photoshop.
Photography is hands on now.

I think Platinum printing is on the upswing.
As is Calotype.
As is silver salt and silver Jello prints

The darkroom department in B&H is huge and does not seem to be shrinking if
anything the opposite. Same with Calumet, Adorma and

It is only obvious that after playing with Photoshop and Epson's and DSLR's
an enthusiast might yearn for other avenues.
Flim.
Darkrooms.
Lightroom.
Contact printing arrangements which work well at high noon on a day like
today on the roof of your apartment or in Central Park.
Or with banks of fluorescents which can also light up a dingy dark winter
apartment.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner