Subject: [Leica] Analog Processing
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Fri Sep 5 13:46:19 2008

Many people still use film but the industry is seeing that most film
use (almost 80%) is from disposable cameras. So, saying that much
photography is still analog, is a bit of a misnomer unless you want to
use Kodak Max 800 for your photographs. As far as darkroom work goes,
it has been relegated to fine art. It's not a dying art, it's just an
old one.
So there are two facets of the analog discussion. Film and darkroom
printing.
Film is still being used for a good amount of peoples' normal
photographs, but digital is still taking over by a large percentage
jump every holiday season and every summer.
The darkroom is a thing of the past that some people are keeping as a
viable form of creating their art. It is not used commercially on a
large scale at all, only for custom prints that discerning customers
order, again this is the art world talking.
Just because it's discussed here on the LUG does not mean that it is
the norm. We are definitely not representative of most of the photo
making world; if we were, famine, disease and war wouldn't be things
that the world would be taking photos of. Most poor people don't own
cameras, let alone Leicas. Some of us do...

PhilFo

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] PESO: Unity Day)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Analog Processing)
Message from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Analog Processing)