Subject: [Leica] Getting into printing.. need advice?
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Sep 6 21:26:15 2008

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/adigital.shtml
http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html
http://photo.net/learn/darkroom/

It's a rocky road.

I hate going into the darkroom, but I think those who are members of
the print exchange can verify that I kind of know what I'm doing when
I do go in.

The digital technology I was using got the rug pulled out from under
it when Bush signed the papers giving Epson a monopoly on cartridges
(I could no longer get my carbon inks). I've been using the darkroom
again for the last year or so (absolutely hate it, it is the most
anti-social aspect of photography).

The same print exchange has demonstrated that there are other
technologies I could be using instead.

It's a moving target, no matter how you look at it. Printers change,
inks change, papers change, silver papers are disappearing all the
time, Forte, Agfa, Kodak.

All things considered, scrap the chemicals.

To have worked in the darkroom is a benefit when it comes to scanning
and digital processing ... but it is a benefit that can be easily
replaced by other workflows.

Learn to scan.

http://www.scantips.com/

You're young. Save your cash and get a proper digital camera.

Daniel