Subject: [Leica] 21/1.4??
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Sep 11 15:21:53 2008

Here we go again as soon as it's Photokina time beating brains out over
Leica, cost of gear and who and why would they need f. 1.4 or f. 0.95?

It always amazes me when guys who'd never spring for a Noctilux get whining
about the price? Weight? Etc. etc..  It's like who the hell cares! If you
can't afford it.. we don't need to hear about it through endless whining
about how much the stuff costs!

As a professional I've used a Noctilux, in many cases as my main lens many
many times at f. 1.0 paying my way through life since 1972 or so.

I don't care what Leica gear costs simply because it's nothing more than
tools allowing me to shoot better images hopefully having clients and future
clients take a major notice of my ability using that gear And if that is the
case, then I can't afford not to have it! As long as it means more
assignments!

Cost isn't a problem if you are earning your living shooting, obviously
within reason you are making sufficient income return to properly pay for it
while maintaining a reasonable profit! But as long as the gear you use helps
you acquire more assignments then the cost ? Forget it!

Now if you are not shooting as a working professional then it's a whole
different ball game. In that case you still don't need to bitch about it,
get over it, particularly when you absolutely know you'll not likely ever
have the income to buy Leica gear fearlessly without thought of cost.

If you couldn't ever buy a Ferrari is that legitimate reason to bitch about
the price of the vehicle?  No different with a Leica! All the Leica gear I
own and have owned is nothing more than "TOOLS OF THE TRADE!" They are no
more or less!

The day I quit shooting paying assignments, we're getting closer day by day.

I'm dumping all the gear previously required to earn income. I'll keep one
camera and favourite lens for "Happy Snapping."  Much like most of you.

And when new Leica stuff comes on line I will not complain about it simply
because I'll not likely earn a dollar with it to pay for it!  NO BUY IT!

God what's so difficult about this train of thought when it comes to
whatever lens or body a lot of you guys cry about just because you don't
have the income to afford it?

Get a life guys, truly enjoy what you have and can / could afford, to hell
with all the new stuff.

OH and while I'm at it... If Leica goes tits up tomorrow and never ever
produces another piece of gear, are all you "worry warts" who can't afford
the new stuff anyway. Are you going to die because of it?"  And are your
present Leica's going to fade to black in your hands?

Forget all this imaginary / rumored pre-release stuff get out and shoot some
pictures with whatever gear you own and have fun!

ted