Subject: Drowning men - was Re: [Leica] Surprises at Photokina
From: red735i at earthlink.net (red735i@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 14 23:31:53 2008

I made my point awkwardly.... I was comparing the wide open performance DOF
between the 21 F1.4 on the M8 to the 24 F  2.8 ASPH on the M6.   Closest
Angle of view (AOV), same DOF.  The point was that the wide open 21 Lux
offers no more DOF on an M8 than the curent ( or past) wide open 24 Elmarit
on film.

Mark Rabiner had made the statement that he wanted more isolation of the
chief subject using the 21 Lux....and an M8... wide open.  He won;t get it
relative to an M6 and the 24 Elmarit.

I always get the efective multiplier ratio of he M8 wrong.. it is 1.5.  So
the 21 on the M8 has the same AOV as a 31 ( 28?) on the M6.  So the
comparison that is fairer is the 28 Elmarit  to the 21 Lux.  However, while
I was wrong about the lenses invloved, the argunment still holds....

The M8 requires a wider FL lens to perform the same AOV as a longer lens on
the M6.  Because the M8 lens is of smaller Fl, it has more DOF than a longer
lens on the M6.  The issue of subject isolation, by use of wide open
imagery, is better done by a longer lens of faster speed.  thus an M6 make a
better isolation tool than an M8 for any given AOV.

Note:   There is no comment here at all about optical performance.   It only
has to do with DOF and Fl and AOV.

Frank