Subject: [Leica] IMG: Iran
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Sep 17 06:39:51 2008

Tina Manley showed:

>>>I've been scanning more photos from Iran in the 1970's and have put a few
up for review:

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/gallery/3917425_sxVhB#229714857_dbyCB

>>>If you want to see them large, click on Slideshow.  If you are one of
those who think execution is more important than content, don't bother. They
will drive you crazy. As they have me. These are terribly scratched, dirty
old negatives which may only be of historical interest.  They were made when
I was very young and using my first camera - a Minolta SRT 101 - and either
Plus X or Tri X Kodak film that had been stored in the window of a photo
shop in

Teheran, developed with outdated chemicals in heavy mineral

well-water in a dust storm in the desert. ;-)  I had a lot to learn about
photography!  I still have several thousand more to scan, but I'm taking a
break because the spotting is driving me crazy. I'll post a before and after
of one 100% section of a photo if anybody is interested.<<<<

>>>Seeing spots in my sleep!<<<

Hi Tina,

My favourite of the litter is the train and snow covered mountains in the
back ground it's a gut grabber of awe.

One of the most important things about these pictures is "HOW YOU WERE
SEEING AS A ROOKIE PHOTOGRAPHER!" 40 years ago and not that of the
professional we see today.

You weren't using a Leica with all it's so called, . "use a Leica and every
picture will be perfect" in the minds of some. These illustrate it's the
person holding the "exposing instrument" and "how they see" is far more
important to successful photography than all the whiz bang gear in the
world.

These show your latent compositional talents and sharp eyes for subject,
angles and other aspects of well produced photography.

If have any regrets about my early career days, even with 280,000 images in
the National Archives of Canada, my beginning days images are long lost and
gone. :-( One of those things. :-(

What I'd like to see today from the lost material is "how was I seeing
subjects, how was I relating to light use then and later through out my life
as the most important aspect of my assignment success."

So what we see in these photographs beyond the beauty of them by your
admirers, you were given the gift to see by The Great Spirit long before you
became the highly talented photographer of today and as it evolved
throughout your career.

A big thank you for posting the "early Tina images." We look forward to
others you may wish to post as they take us back in time when life was
simple, particularly in that area of the world today.

ted

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Iran)