Subject: [Leica] WSJ Leica Article
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Sep 17 09:24:10 2008

>> only photo group I know where at least five people actually
read the Wall Street Journal and post about it ;-)...Make that six.<<

Make that Seven!

The comments regarding distribution were interesting. A lot of my Leica
purchases over the years have been spontaneous. I bought something
because I had the camera or lens in my hand. I'm pretty certain that if
I'd had an M8 in my hands by now I'd own one. The problem is that I
haven't.

It's not like I'm on a deserted island. I've been in numerous camera
shops and I've had my hands on every other top-of-the-line body from
other manufacturers. I came close to buying a D3, and if I were still
photographing for a living I probably would have done so. My real
interest is in a digital M. I'm interested in the M8 because of what
people whose opinions I value (mainly on the LUG) have said.

But a personal test drive, even a small one, is important to me. That
option hasn't been there with the M8. I don't know if the lack of demo
units, distribution channels, or the changing world of retail. It may be
hurting Leica sales in general.

I'm a little perplexed by the difference between a Kiosk and a regular
dealer that has a demo unit and one or more units in stock for sale.
Perhaps I'll be buying my first M8 while whisking through an airport
terminal, or my hands on experience will be with a camera that's
tethered by a wire to a display at Costco.

DaveR