Subject: [Leica] Scanning woes
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Sep 17 09:46:17 2008

Tina,

I love film, but hate digital spotting. Thus scanning is a struggle.
Especially when it comes to traditional BW film. Never mind that it
requires skill that I don't seem to have. But, dust is such an issue. It
seems like no matter how much care I take in the processing/drying
steps, imperfections from dust or something else show up. It's not as
big an issue if I make chemical prints. In fact, if I take extreme care
under the premise that I'll be scanning, then it becomes a non-issue if
I make wet prints. The imperfections aren't even apparent in the prints.
But scanning at hi res (I use a Minolta 5400) gives no quarter when it
comes to imperfections in the negative. On the plus side, it's really
make me take more care with all aspects of the film process.

DaveR