Subject: [Leica] M8 Auto ISO instruction
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Sep 19 12:27:38 2008

I you were walking down a sunny street with no shade than its f 16 and be
there with few demands. But if you turn the corner and wander over to the
shady side where it can be 4 stops darker. Back and forth. Rinse and repeat.
Till you get tired of it. Then you make compromises. Ignore one side of the
street. Use a setting optimized for the middle of the two situations.

A is nice. P is nice if you've got it. A&P has great produce.

Shooting autos means your jumping in and out of a car shooting the guy in
the car 5 stops darker than if he or she is standing next to it.
Hence the reason why they invented Auto ISO mode.
Sometimes I just set mine to "convertible".

I want my shutter speed to not go below 100. And my wide zoom stopped down a
couple.
So I get all that both in and out of the car with Auto ISO.

And if I have another camera going as well say with an normal zoom on I can
have the shudder speed be higher and stopped down three instead of two.
Which is what I do.

In a fast breaking situation I'd rather be thinking about the subject then
about my settings. As when I look back I look back at the settings I'd have
which were not at all optimal for the situation. As I was just involved with
the situation and not my settings.
Auto ISO gets around this. You get to do less thinking. I like that.
So you make less mistakes.
Later I'd look back and my settings on the Bridge contact sheet thing on the
screen and don't cringe.
And best of all bottom line the pix have all "come out".
No shots with too slow a shutter speed. not enough depth of field and
certainly no missed exposures.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner