Subject: [Leica] Sizing for powerpoint
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Sun Sep 21 17:44:36 2008

There are three things that factor into how a image appears in
powerpoint.... the resolution of the image, the display resolution setting
of the computer running Powerpoint and the resolution of the projector.

The quality of the image will ultimately be limited by the lowest setting of
the three....

To get the maximum sharpeness you want all three resolution setting the
same....  If the images are bigger... than the images have to be resized
down.... and you lose sharpness in that process... and it also takes longer
to transition between images....

I use 1024x768 and then size images either 1024 wide or 768 high....   I use
batch sizing options in Photoshop and apply a slight unsharp mask to them as
well...   In the newer versions of Powerpoint you can import a whole folder
of images into a Photo Album... which speeds things up as well....  Resized
images project way better than unsized/unsharpened even though they are
large original images...

For maximum quality... do not resize or crop images in PowerPoint.... do it
in Photoshop first and then resize it to 1024 wide or 768 high....  This
also assumes that you are using the full width or height of the slide....
If you are not using the whole width or height.... then Powerpoint has to
resdown the images.... frankly... I hate presentations where people leave
borders around photos....  or put numerous small photos on the same
slide....It just makes the images smaller and harder to see....

Just make sure you use a black background so the viewer  just sees the
images..... and not the the extra space on the sides from vertical
images.... or top and bottom on horizontal ones

Duane