Subject: [Leica] S2 hits Photokina
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Sep 23 07:01:02 2008

George,

You are absolutely right. OTOH, R&D takes capital. And it appears that
the availability of capital has dried up. The pendulum has swung far the
other way, and it happened quite suddenly. The price of risk taking just
became much, much higher.  We haven't even experienced the fallout yet.
We've gone from an era of very loose money to an era where money will be
very tight. The media talks about high executive compensation, etc. Next
they'll hammer the blame game, which may get me riled up but really
doesn't solve anything. It's water under the bridge. What's past is
past. It doesn't really affect people like the impact of tight money
will. Scarce capital will impact R&D (one of the first areas usually
that gets cut), and not just in digital imaging, but in many industries.
Whether or not this will mean a dramatic slowdown in the introduction of
new products, I don't know. But my hunch is that it will. For someone
who wants to get longer useful life out of a product with having another
carrot hanging just out of reach, that's a good thing. For someone who's
always wanting something newer and better, that may not be so good. Time
will tell, but I think we're in a new era of product development.
Personally I think all the techie BS has gotten in the way of the
fundamentals of photography, or simply taking and making good
photographs (which I ought to be able to do with what I currently own).
Of course, there's a chance that I could be wrong...about slower product
development, I mean, and not about being able to get by with what I've
already got.
 :-)

DaveR