Subject: [Leica] Photokina [DMC-LX3 and kin; IMGs]
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sat Sep 27 12:59:12 2008

2008-09-27-14:24:13 Lottermoser George:
> while the angle of view
> will appear similar to a 24
> the depth of field and other characteristics
> certainly will not appear similar

Not a bit.  It's a 5.1mm to 12.8mm f/2.0-2.8...

I've been playing with one recently.  It's fun.  (And fits in a back
pocket.)  And of course, the pictures don't look like the pictures from
a larger-sensored camera would.  F'rinstance, check out this depth of
field wide-open at f/2.0:

  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jbm/scratch/jbm-20080924-lx3-031.jpg.html

...and, of course, the noticeable noise at ISO 400, and an overall soft
feeling.  It's just a different beast.  Who here used to play with
Minoxes?  (Minoxen?)

Here's another snap with the wee beastie:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jbm/pwigomlaap/jbm-20080924-lx3-032-silky2-1280max.jpg.html

It's disturbing that even the dpreview summary table for the camera

  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmclx3.asp

shows only the 135-format equivalent focal lengths, not the real info on
the lens. (Maybe you could use those equivalents and the notation that
it's a 1/1.63" sensor, which they do include, and work your way back, at
least approximately...)

dpreview do now routinely note pixel density (in this case, 24MP/cm^2)
which can be instructive.

We need to get away from this 135-centered cultural imperialism --
that's the sort of silliness which causes people to use the phrase "full
format" and assume that a camera like the M8 whose sensor isn't that
particular arbitrary historical size is somehow lacking because of it.

 -Jeff M

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Photokina [DMC-LX3 and kin; IMGs])
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Photokina [DMC-LX3 and kin; IMGs])
Message from s.dimitrov at charter.net (slobodan dimitrov) ([Leica] Photokina)