Subject: [Leica] Photokina [DMC-LX3 and kin; IMGs]
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sat Sep 27 23:03:36 2008

Well Jeff, it's like this. When you've shot lenses of  a certain length for
a long time you walk around seeing the frame they catch, aligned with the
camera you're holding in your hand. I know what a 28 is going to pull in on
a 24x36 frame, even if I'm holding it at arms length or cradling it in my
elbow. Re-formatting means buying new lenses, and fitting them to a form of
perception that takes place a somatic level. I guess you wouldn't get it if
you haven't been there.

I spent the day today shooting an LX3 for the first time. The wide-tele
adjusts on an unindexed scale. I'd gone over wide in every shot and have had
to crop viciously, and pay for it with increased noise. I frame according to
a hard learned sense of where the camera is pointed, not by LCD and only
rarely by viewfinder. Until I figure out what point on the scale corresponds
to a 28, my distances are entirely screwed. When you're shooting street
that's a killer.