Subject: [Leica] IMG: Poison Mushrooms
From: len-001 at verizon.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Sep 30 18:00:41 2008

After three days of on and off rain I found these mushrooms
surrounding my small Spruce tree in my back yard. It was strange that
they were no where else in the yard.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/M8/AmanitaMuscaria.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/M8/
AmanitaMuscaria_2.jpg.html>

One of the mushrooms behind the tree was about 10" in diameter.
Before I could take it's picture it fell over and broke.

I identified the mushroom as a Amanita Muscaria var. formosa. These
mushrooms are found throughout the USA. On the west coast the cap
color is more red where on the east coast  they are more orange or
yellow.  If anyone can identify it as a different type please correct
me.

This mushroom is listed as poisonous but has been used as a
hallucinogen if prepared properly and in small quantities but can
also cause a person to go into a coma after becoming sick.

Thanks for looking.
Len

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMG: Poison Mushrooms)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: Poison Mushrooms)