Subject: [Leica] PAW 40 dlridings
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Oct 6 08:31:01 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Robert Meier <robertmeier@usjet.net> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> That really does sound nice.   What I have always liked about my IIIf is
> the
> separate rangefinder, because it is so enlarged, it always lets me focus
> very precisely (and it doesn't have any ghosting the way the M6 rangefinder
> does).   I had a IIIg briefly last year that I got as part of a large group
> of Leica things.   I found it was so valuable that I couldn't afford to
> keep
> it!

The one I bought didn't cost that much. I visited my mother this last
summer and found it just sitting on a shelf in the camera store in La
Grange (Chicago suburb).

I like the separate finders. I have the 35, 50 and 90 and they all
provide really bright and clear framelines, but I got tired of the
extra step of changing finders with every lens. With the IIIg I now
have the 50 and 90 always at hand and, if I want, but I haven't done
it yet, I can just leave the 35 on at all times. Then I only have to
change lenses.

Problem is that the external finder draws my eye to it like a magnet,
so even if I know I have a 50 mm lens on the camera, but pure force of
habit my eye moves up to the external finder after focusing.

I didn't NEED this camera ... it was just always a childish desire to
have one and when I saw it on the shelf I thought "this one was meant
for me" :-)

Something must have shown through. My wife was with me and said "buy
it, you want it, it's not that much." ... The joys of being on
vacation with a laid-back attitude to life :-)

Daniel

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] PAW 40 dlridings)
Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] PAW 40 dlridings)
Message from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] PAW 40 dlridings)