Subject: [Leica] PAW 40 dlridings
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier)
Date: Mon Oct 6 17:30:23 2008

Daniel,

The thing to do is keep the 35mm lens and finder on your IIIf and use the 50
and 90 on the IIIg.   Of course, that might mean taking two cameras, but
they are small and light.    I have the 50 and 90 finders and use the 50 all
the time on my IIIf.   I don't use the 90 finder, because I don't have a 90
lens.    I have tried to buy a 35 finder for a long time, but haven't
succeeded yet.

I have gotten an M6 TTL  with the 0.58 finder this summer, and it is almost
a perfect camera.   I really like the 35mm finder frame -- it is by itself
(no 135mm frame corners) with a fair amount of room in the finder around it.
Perfect.   And the 50mm framelines are still plenty big enough, and I use
the 50 as well as the 35.   And the new T-Max 400 film is just about the
perfect film, a 400 speed film that is virtually grainless up to 11x14 and
very sharp and great tonality.   It does it all.   I have been buying it in
100' rolls and bulk loading it.   I still use my IIIf with the 50/2.8 Elmar,
but less and less.

Finding a IIIg in a camera shop in your old home town is pretty neat, too.
I grew up in Wilmette, just north of Evanston, and worked in the local
camera shop when I was in high school.   I think it's still there;   maybe I
should go see what they have on the backs of their shelves.

Robert