Subject: [Leica] Cars
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Tue Oct 7 08:45:40 2008

A dream car this one was - advanced and very reliable technology on
board - for all I know Citroen was the company that invented and was
first to mass produce front wheel drives, on top of oleo-pneumatic
independent suspensions, fully no-clutch-gearboxes, intelligent
headlights that would follow the curves, etc.

De Gaulle is said to have escaped assassination thanks to his
chauffeur's skills, and to the car handling so well in any circumstances..

The station wagon version was also much used as an ambulance car (FWD
and extented platform with smooth but fast riding)

Production started in the mid-fifties, when Beetles, Austins, or Fiat
500 were many.
There was a joke at the time on French roads : "Citroen is always ahead"
meaning the DS was the fastest, and the 2CV (see Alastairs recent posts)
the slowest hence blocked the way at the first hill and was 'ahead'.

After Audi, BMW, and others, I now drive one of its descendants, and I'm
the happiest of men.

To finish within the camera lovers topic, even Roland Barthes, who wrote
La Chambre Claire (Camera Lucida in English, but could also be
translated by The Lightroom, ...), used the DS (i.e.Goddess) in one of
his most famous series of essays called Mythologies.

Thanks for the nice memories you've brought Mads.
Philippe