Subject: [Leica] Vacation Camera Lenses: What did NOT work?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Oct 10 09:57:22 2008

Vacation Camera Lenses: What did NOT work?

Frank Filippone offered:

>>Vick.. you hit on the reason I started this thread..... we are all getting

older.  It is seemingly impossible for "us" to carry the stuff we used to,

even a few years ago.  So what to bring and what to leave behind?   What

matches the trip?  What does not?

While we are all individuals with individual "seeing", there are some thing
that just do not work.  ( My examples of long lenses on the Oregon/N.Cal
coast). Now someone will counter, and will ahev made some wonderful images

along the Oregon coast with a long lens.  Does this means carrying a 3 pound

lens for 2 weeks, because there MIGHT BE a good shot along the trip is a
good idea...?  Is your shoulder/back/neck worth the chance?

Let's all try to contribute to what (generally ) does not work.... and

why.....  We all have experiences.....<<<<

Hi Frank,

Given the years of carrying a "45-50 lb. left shoulder camera-equipment bag
for way too many years."

I have come down to, "What you can't do with one camera and an extra lens
(unfortunately never using the extra lens at times) you'll find you could've
done whatever motivated you with one camera, one lens and not really missed
anything.

We all, well at younger ages, are gung - ho to carry every thing we own
"because we never want to miss anything!"

As we gain experience of seeing we should learn.. "We don't need three
cameras and 12 lens on a VACATION" as though we are working an assignment
and being paid to carry all the junk!

If people kept in mind they are on holiday, ERGO: taking  a rest and
enjoying ourselves, why carry a ton of gear and wear yourself out? Not to
forget the possibility of putting the bag down, walking away without it due
to some distraction.

My gear for a "holiday, whatever that constitutes?

Is different, as I've been on a holiday all my life enjoying being a
photographer. :-) Why knock myself out carrying a bunch of useless stuff
I'll not likely use?

These days? One camera & Noctilux! If any extra lens it would be the widest
lens possible for my M, 15mm. Always nice for interiors.

That camera never leaves my shoulder or hanging from my neck from the moment
I go out the door until I return for bed! And quite frankly I probably
haven't missed a worthwhile subject.

Sure we see lots of neat things but don't shoot it, big deal! We always do
that whether it's 3 bodies and a dozen lenses and we still don't shoot it.

There isn't any point in lugging a ton of stuff, coming home beat,
particularly when many on list don't carry a heavy bag at least 5 days a
week or more. They go on holiday, load up the bag and it's no wonder they
come back dragging their sorry ass and sore back or shoulders.

Sometimes we forget we have a gift to see beyond garbage cans and telephone
poles, sometimes why not just enjoy what we have. "the gift to see"
wonderful and beautiful things others don't. Go light, enjoy the views and
come home rested with a few nice happy snaps!! Your never going to get
everything anyway!

After all isn't all this picture taking stuff supposed to be fun and great
enjoyment in our lives and not some drudgery of carrying gear, especially on
a holiday?

KISS baby, KISS!!!! Go long and light! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Vacation Camera Lenses: What did NOT work?)
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Vacation Camera Lenses: What did NOT work?)