Subject: [Leica] ir filter
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat Oct 11 15:07:59 2008

Leo, you need to stop working in sand storms! Something has gone awry if
those filters have got all scratched up. Someone will tell you though that
the front lens elements would not have suffered any damage if the filters
were not mounted. (not me!). My four Leica UV/IR's are all perfect. None
have been anywhere environmentally nasty. By the way how is your sensor?
I agree that the filters are pretty much essential in any light anytime you
shoot people. There are some hints that the S2 sensor has used a different
approach and if so, that technology may trickle down later.
On the high ISO, I regard the M8 as a bit better in low light than film. My
personal limit on film was 400 ISO. I'd very seldom used faster. 640 on the
M8 seems pretty acceptable for me. However the advent of much better low
light noise performance from Nikon, for example, does make users wish for
better from the M8. ISO 1250 is only a get out of jail with  post processing
option for me. Personally I don't want to give up lens performance along the
way to approach that Nikon output though.

Cheers
Geoff
Aber Masse kann Klasse nicht ersetzen....Aber die R10 kommt.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/