Subject: [Leica] was euro . now prius
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Tue Oct 28 06:57:53 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>wrote:

> Hi Henning,
> I just like the way the e-CVT transmission works, the cleverest thing on a
> production car IMO. There was no economical sense for me owning the Prius,
> and it is a poor long distance car - at steady speed there is no benefit
> from the regeneration technology and then you simply have a car with a 1,5l
> Atkinson cycle engine designed for high load efficiency rather than power.
> Pretty boring for long trips....
> Frank

My wife Kathy drives a Prius; we bought it when she had a one hour commute
each way.  We have 78,000 miles on it now.   For our recent trip to Oklahoma
City we  drove that instead of the Voyager Van as we didn't have much to
carry, and it was just the two of us.  I drove  most of the way, and
averaged  48mpg  highway.  It was a pleasant drive, about three fourths of
the 450 mile trip is four-lane.

The Indian Nations tollway has a 75mph speed limit, and the Prius cruised
along pretty nicely, and there seemed quite enough power for passing on the
two lane roads, though you don't get too much slow moving traffic anywhere
in Texas.   Even a garbage truck I was following for several miles was doing
more than the 65 mph speed limit on the way to Paris, Texas.

I guess any car is boring on long trips when you have speed limits, but even
on the windy plains of Oklahoma, the car  held the road even around the 18
wheelers.

--
Regards,

Sonny