Subject: [Leica] why do bombs whistle?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Nov 1 16:42:35 2008

Interesting, Neil,

The bombs dropped by the Luftwaffe Stuka (JU-87) are supposed to have
had a siren-like system built in to make them 'scream' even louder when
dropping to increase the psychological effect.

My father told stories of "screaming" Stukas with AT-cannon mounted
below the wings attacking his Signals Truck in the Western Desert,
apparently the dive-brakes of the plane had a similar effect - a
terrifying sound.

Douglas